When you mark a table, PDF2XL attempts to automatically detect where the columns are but, sometimes, you might want to change what was automatically detected, particularly if the columns are not in the right place or if they aren't properly marked.
Keep reading to learn how to Resize, Add, Delete, and Hide table columns.
Resizing a Column
- Place your cursor over the column's left or right border. The cursor should change into a double headed arrow.
- Press and hold the left mouse button.
- Drag the cursor left or right to move the border to the right or left.
- When you've moved the border to the right position, release the left mouse button.
Moving a column's border in PDF2XL will resize the two columns touching that border. No other part of the table is affected.
Adding a Column
You can't actually add a column, but you can split an existing column into two smaller columns.
- Select the column you want to split by clicking just above the top row. A selected column will turn dark blue.
- Right-click anywhere on the column.
- Select "Split Here" from the menu that pops up.
- You can now resize the new smaller columns as described above in the "Resizing a Column" section.
Deleting a Column
Just like in the previous section, you cannot actually delete a column from a table, but you can merge two columns into one bigger column.
- Select the column you want to delete by clicking with the left-mouse button and holding it.
- While keeping your left-mouse button pressed, drag your cursor to the right or left, depending on which two (or more) columns you want to merge. Selected columns will turn dark blue.
- Right-click anywhere on these two columns.
- Select "Merge" from the menu that pops up.
After merging the columns, you can resize the resulting column to fit your needs, as described in the "Resizing a Column" section.
Hiding a Column
While it isn't possible to delete a column, it is possible to hide one. This means that the column will still exist, and PDF2XL will see the table as it should be, but one or more columns will not appear in the conversion output.
- Enable Output Order editing mode by clicking the "Output Order" button on the Convert tab.
- In the Page Preview pane, find the column you want to hide.
- Remove the tick from the checkbox in that column's header.
- Disable Output Order by clicking on the button again.
Your Page Preview pane will now show the output without the hidden column.
If you ever want to make the column visible again, simply repeat the same steps and replace the tick mark in the same column's header.